HOD : Dr. Surinder Singh
Office phone : 01672-253276, Fax: No. 01672-253276
DEPARTMENT FACULTY COORDINATOR:
- Dr. Surinder Singh, Assoc. Prof.(ECE)
- Er. Vivek Kumar, Asstt. Prof.(Mech.)
- Ms. Alka Singla, Asstt. Prof.(ECE)
- Sh. Sanjiv Prakash, Programmer (CSE)
ABOUT DEPARTMENT OF DISABILITIES STUDIES
Department of Disabilities Studies honored with EDUCATION LEADERSHIP AWARD by Dewang Mehta Foundation (NGO) & Business School Affair, Mumbai on November 15, 2014. This award is in recognition of leadership, development, innovation and industry interface of Institute in the field of disabilities/PWD affairs.
Department of Disabilities Studies was established at SLIET, Longowal in May, 2009 with the approval of Board of management with the following broad objectives:
(i) Creating Barrier free environment as per needs of Persons with Disabilities (PWD)
(ii) To run Formal/non-formal programmes for PWD’s.
Further, SLIET is implementing MHRD sponsored Scheme for Integrating Persons with Disabilities in the Mainstream of Vocational & Technical Education under which students with disabilities are admitted in Formal (Certificate and Diploma) and non-formal programmes since 2001. Under this scheme, 25 students are admitted every year in formal programmes and 100 students are admitted in non-formal programmes. National Expert Group under the chairmanship of JS (Technical), MHRD decided to establish a separate cell at SLIET to boost the implementation of the scheme more effectively.
Department of Disability Studies, which address all issues relating to Persons with Disabilities – especially human rights, rehabilitation, education etc. As per GOI directions, all educational institutions should be made barrier free within reasonable time frame of, say, two years for universities, and three for colleges and schools. They should also have the facilities to provide Braille books and talking books. Sign language interpreter should also be provided in the institutions having hearing impaired students”
- To Create Barrier free environment for Persons with Disabilities (PWD) as per policies of GOI.
- To run Formal/Non-formal programs Exclusively for PWD’s.
- Identification of Formal & Non-Formal Programs
- Competency based Curriculum Design for Non-formal Programs
- Establishment of Laboratories for Non-formal Programs
- Training of Trainers/Faculty
- Removal of Architectural Barriers
- Extension Centers
- Research & Development